Pages

Sunday 20 July 2014

Simplicity #3803 pattern review-- #Oonapalooza


I have returned from my trip to Las Vegas...it is SOOOOOOOO hot there.  I am not used to temperatures in the 40's.  Nonetheless, I had a swell time with my hubby (sans mini me).  I saw some amazing shows,ate at wonderful restaurants and caught up on some much needed rest and relaxation.



Now about this dress... One of the many sewing blogs that I read on a regular basis is #Oonaballoona.   I love her use of colours and style.  July is Oonapalooza, that is we are to create something that is Oona inspired in style, colour or design.  I decided to go with this VERY funky butterfly print.  The lovely ladies at my fabric store convinced me this would be a great print to try a full maxi dress.  I am not one for such bold colours because the "fashion" world say that a woman under 5', should not wear such big bold patterns, BUT I have to admit, this summer, I am enjoying the bold prints and the vibrant colours.  I had this Simplicity 3803 in my collection for quite some time and never really ventured to try this pattern out.  I used to always get nervous around fitted bodice because inevitably I would always need to do a FBA.  Thankfully, I have found a technique that works for me and I can do it in my sleep.

Here is my full pattern review for Simplicity 3803:

Pattern Sizing: I cut a View A, size 8 and did a FBA in the bodice.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yep, it sure did.

Were the instructions easy to follow? I didn't use the instructions...

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love this fit and style of the dress.  The pattern had various options for the neckline and the back.  I like that you could add a ruffle to the bottom of the dress, have a halter neckline.  In this view that I sewed, the back bodice is opened until about the mid point of your back.

Fabric Used: I used a printed cotton and  simple orange broadcloth for the lining.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I did a FBA to the bodice of the dress.  I wanted a full maxi dress but still needed to shortened the length by about 5".  I used an exposed zipper to add a bit of flair to the back (hard to see in the photos)

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? YEP!  already in the works.  I really like the fit of this dress and the options to make it in various lengths and styles.

Conclusion: Excellent pattern.  Sews up quick and easy.

excuse the bra

excuse the bra...again


19 comments:

  1. Really gorgeous! As a fellow short person, I say we can wear what we want, especially when the fit and proportions are so well thought out. Looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! You are right, we can wear what we want and wear it proudly!

      Delete
  2. I love, love, love this dress....I may have to pick this pattern up....thanks so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. It was fun to make. I believe it is actually out of print but you can get the PDF version through Simplicity.

      Delete
  3. You did a fabulous job and this looks great on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you tell me more about the type of FBA you do or if you have already discussed it in your blog, can you let me know where to read it?

    Love this dress on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be doing a detailed description of my FBA technique in the very near future. A great place to start is in #professor pincushion.

      Delete
  5. This is sew cute and looks sew comfy. Love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sharon, this is delicious! those colors! you are just under five feet of WOW. i swear, i think shorties looks better in maxis than anyone-- we can rock them anywhere without looking like we're trying to dress up in 8 yards of fabric :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. It came out great!! I love the bright colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! You look amazing! What a great dress!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazing on you! Despite also being just over 5 ft., I nearly bought this exact fabric for my own Oona-inspired make-- but there was only a metre left on the bolt so I moved on ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, it looks great! I used the same fabric for my Oonapalooza entry, but did not get to posting it on time. Great minds think alike, no?
    Here's the link you you want a peep:
    http://fitnottofit.wordpress.com/2014/08/09/here-oonapalooza-never-ends/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the skirt! It is so flowy and full! Great jog.

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment