what he wears, where he wears them. When I saw Peter's posting, I thought I could make that hat for him. So off I went to my fabric stash to find a fabric that I could experiment with and that would look nice as a wearable muslin...IF the hat turned out.
I settled on a soft black corduroy fabric that was stiff enough for a hat and yet stylish enough to wear...IF the hat turned out. Then I had to find a lining and settled on a pinstripe suiting scrap that I had laying around.
Now that I had my fabric, I needed to find a pattern. After searching the internet, I found few templates but nothing that was the proper size for me. So taking the shape I made my own pattern that better match my husband's head size. Off I went to sew this hat together, hoping that the hat will turn out.
At the end of it all, the hat turned out well. I realized that it looks good on everyone!
|mother in law sporting the cap|
I will definitely make this hat again, maybe in a brown tweed. Overall, this hat sewed up pretty quickly. I have to do more research on what material to use for the brim of the hat. More sizing of the hat, to ensure a better fit. Although my husband prefers a looser fitting hat, I think this style of hat needs to be a bit smaller to get the right look. But I really enjoyed drafting my own pattern and the project as a whole.