Pages

Monday 13 January 2014

Newsboy Cap- First Attempt

I am always looking for something to inspire my next project.  Recently, I came across www.malepatternboldness.blogspot.ca by Peter Lappin and saw his Newsboy Cap.  My husband always complains that I never make anything for him.  In all the sewing I do, I try to avoid male patterns because my hubby is so particular about the way in wants his clothes to fit,
what he wears, where he wears them.  When I saw Peter's posting, I thought I could make that hat for him.  So off I went to my fabric stash to find a fabric that I could experiment with and that would look nice as a wearable muslin...IF the hat turned out.

I settled on a soft black corduroy fabric that was stiff enough for a hat and yet stylish enough to wear...IF the hat turned out.  Then I had to find a lining and settled on a pinstripe suiting scrap that I had laying around.

Now that I had my fabric, I needed to find a pattern.  After searching the internet, I found few templates but nothing that was the proper size for me. So taking the shape I made my own pattern that better match my husband's head size. Off I went to sew this hat together, hoping that the hat will turn out.

At the end of it all, the hat turned out well.  I realized that it looks good on everyone!

mother in law sporting the cap

I will definitely make this hat again, maybe in a brown tweed. Overall, this hat sewed up pretty quickly.  I  have to do more research on what material to use for the brim of the hat.  More sizing of the hat, to ensure a better fit.  Although my husband prefers a looser fitting hat, I think this style of hat needs to be a bit smaller to get the right look. But I really enjoyed drafting my own pattern and the project as a whole.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment